Saturday, May 9, 2009

First day!



Quite tired as I write this so forgive me any careless wording as I briefly explain the first day.

First day was an amazing one!Started under clear skies from Bloubergstrand, with a spectacular view of Table Mountain. Have my friend Jeremy joining me for the first two days which has been great! Walking with the cart is taking some getting used to and is slower than I expected. Have also had some teething problems with the wheels as they settle in. Around midday, stepping off a sidewalk at about 45 degrees left the cart on its side (taking me with it) and the right wheel severely buckled. It had tensioned strangely and as soon as i put my hand on it to check how rigid it was, it sprang instantaneously back to it's original shape! Some balancing and severe spoke tightening was still necessary. Later on the other wheel buckled quite badly and started rubbing against the fork. This was purely due to the spokes loosening while the wheels settle in and once again the spoke wrench came in handy! Also think i have packed too much "in case" and luxury equipment so will send some stuff back to cape town with Jeremy tomorrow.

Walking was tough but at just under 25km we covered enough distance for me to stay on schedule. We set up camp behind some bushes about 100 off the road we were walking. The road is quite busy but there are no towns for quite some distance. We expect to hit the next town at the end of tomorrow.

Will probably update once a week from now on unless something really crazy happens or i get really bored after setting up camp once Jeremy is gone! Might sacrifice the ukelele in my effort to lighten the load but I'll still have my guitar and harmonicas to distract me from my blog! Might sacrifice it... Still weighing up the pros and cons...

No comments:

Post a Comment