Monday, July 6, 2009

It started with a stove...

I must apologise for my lack of blogging, I went through a patch without signal for two weeks and have since been deep in thought... There is so much to tell and I've had so many amazing experiences but after thinking and planning so much I'm pretty tired and it's quite late now so this will be a quick elaboration on my thought and its resulting effect on me and Olive.

It started when I couldn't find benzine at the shop (shortly before being abducted by crazy germans, but more of that in the next blog), and had to buy parafin to run my stove. I discovered that parafin is a dirty horrible fuel so I thought of making an alcohol stove to burn methylated spirits until I could find benzine. So I logged onto the net and researched alcohol stoves. I had briefly read one or two articles about a year ago on how to make simple yet very effective alcohol stoves out of 1 or more tin cans. On my way to discovering the Supercat stove (google it, very cool design and so easy to make!) I discovered tonnes of references to ultralight hiking which favour alcohol stoves. I always thought ultralight hiking was for a 3-5 day stint of absolute bare essentials, sleeping uncomfortably and eating terrible foods. Then came the food for thought...

I started to find accounts of people hiking for 1000km+ with backpacks under 10kg! One particularly impressive account was Ray Jardine and his wife hiking the Pacific Crest trail, which is over 2000 miles, with an 8 pound pack! Obviously you need a heavier pack if you're going solo or if water is not as readily available, but even then a 12 kg pack is not too shabby at all! So I've decided to go ultralight!

Tomorrow I will leave Askham without Olive. I will miss her as she has seen me through some long distances without water or food, but there are more farms here so I don't need to carry as much water. I'm also enjoying this walk so much that I feel I don't need luxuries like my guitar to have fun (though that took alot to conclude, I think it will be the hardest thing to go without). Other gear like my stove is great for expeditions, but I'm essentially doing mild weather hiking so I'll be fine with my tin can stove and will eventually do without my tent.

It's been a comparatively quick decision, but one that I'm excited to implement! I'm incredibly grateful to TJ, the owner of the local café, who has offered to store my gear in his garage for the duration of the trip! If it weren't for him I would have had to do some serious logistical planning!

I think going ultralight will radically alter my walk and offer me a greater freedom. This thought has had me filled with nervous excitement for the past few days! I hope that everyone who reads this is doing well in their own adventures and endeavors and is as or more excited about something than I am about this whole trip! It's an incredible feeling to be so free and live so simply... So much to write, but very tired and nervous and excited for tomorrow, so will update another day. Till then...

4 comments:

  1. Howzit Kyle
    I sent you a msge on Facebook a few months ago, saying once you start something like this, " There is no finish line" It becomes a part of who you are....... I have been following your tracks, with interest and envy, and sympathy...... What you have achieved already is remarkable, I think you are now somewhere up north, tough terrain, been there.... The gate through awaits, not easy!! Wish I was there : Laurence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kyle Hope you enjoy the next stage of your advenure It sounds a if you have had a lot of excitment so far look forward to reading your next blog


    caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kyle, I see brother Lau and cousin Caroline have already been onto you- they obviously don't need sleep! Well done, I am in awe of what you have achieved so far; I think "go light" sounds the way to go but Olive certainly played a huge part getting you there! One step at a time, we are all with you, L&K's, GP/xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi kyle, Woodland school kids are following your progress with great excitment. Your trip has sparked off many projects and class discussions. We are all reading your news with the kind of eagerness normaly reserved for mystery novels.A few of us would like to join you for a day when you get near to Dwaalboom area. If you are keen let us know how to contact you so that we can plan this.

    ReplyDelete